Friday, February 13, 2009

Breakthrough day with Jeff Ritter

I've been fighting a very pronounced upright swing tendency that I developed over the years after never having seen an instructor. For a glimpse of how bad it was, check this out...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pwp3a0Z4hg. Jeff and I had gotten it fairly manageable, but I was always fighting it. I'd come back after a few weeks away and the first thing he'd say is "a little flatter, more laid off". God I'm sick of hearing that. But I work my ass off to keep it under control, it needs to happen to get us down the path.

Well today I come in for a lesson, after just butchering what progress I'd made over the past few weeks in a single practice session yesterday. The wind was blowing from the left, I was on the right side of the range, and I grooved an outside of the ball path like nobody's business. Figures, I can't groove anything Jeff teaches me but give me an hour unsupervised and I can chisel bad technique in stone. After warming up and hitting a few, Jeff immediately takes me inside, which was odd because we usually don't go capture video all the time, and certainly not right at the beginning of the session. I know better than to question him so I went along for the ride.

First thing out of his mouth was a change to my takeaway. Now if you saw in the first video, I used to take it WAY outside, a self taught method of what I thought would be a way to keep the club from coming across the line at the top. For those who didn't watch the video, let's just say it didn't help. Well it turns out I might have been on the right track. Jeff changed my takeaway from pushing back with the hands and arms (one piece takeaway ring a bell?) to "almost" kind of cocking my wrists in order to get the club more on plane as the club goes back. I was starting to get a bit inside, causing the next move to be up, which causes the across the line move. So by taking it outside (it's not really outside, it looks like it a hair, but camera angles can fool you a bit) just a shade the next move is a flattening motion. I go through a few takeaways to get down what he's saying and hit a ball. Jeff says "hmmm, that's interesting", which typically doesn't mean anything good.

Turns out, I was laid off at the top, a lot. Holy shit, I laid it off and got it on video? No way! So we take a few more, I must have hit I don't know, 20-30 balls, every single one of them was spot on at the top of the swing. Flat, behind me, not across the line, and not laid off, just, I mean absolutely where we've been wanting it. Here's the kicker, before I was always concentrating on laying it off, now I'm not even thinking about it. I went outside after we were done and hit a ball, threw my club in the air and walked back inside. I said "Jeff, I don't normally do this, but I just wanted to tell you that I fucking nutted it, I mean perfect."

I hit 15 -20 more outside before heading out, and they weren't all perfect from a ball flight perspective, but a change like this doesn't exactly take in 30 minutes. I can say that the swing plane has nearly "stuck" with me. I shot some video in my basement this evening just to see if I was still on track, and 6 out of 6 swings were again, perfect at the top of the swing. I'm beside myself right now. I've been working at this for well over a year, and now it's almost automatic, I'm not even thinking about it. A very small change made a dramatic difference today.

Here's the video from today's session. No audio, just a repeat of the swing about 10,000 times so I can just sit here and stare at it. Today is a good day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87162WKO8M

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post & videos regarding the "breakthrough day" have given me hope and excitement! Though I've never taken a lesson from Jeff Ritter, I spend a lot of time trying to learn from his online instruction (videos, articles, etc.). To realize that you have been fortunate enough to work with him, and what one frustrated you with your golf swing (going across the line)is the same major flaw I have -- leads me to this request: Please look at my video (feel free to mute the volume so you don't have to listen to my wife's sound effects...)and tell me what I can do to STOP going across the line in my take away -- like you were able to fix SO WELL. Your description on the "Breakthrough Day" is good, but any more / specific information as to what I can do would be GREATLY appreciated. Here's the address to a video which shows me going across the line:

http://blip.tv/file/2754901

Again, any insight/instruction would be wonderful.

With appreciation,
Eric

PaperHogan said...

Eric,

Very sorry about the delay in responding, I can't find a way to contact you here. I could talk to you for days about things I have done and I'd love to do so. First off, the position you have at the top makes me quite jealous, that's what I've been fighting. As far as on the takeaway, what I've been working on, and what I see you doing differently, is keeping my arms closer to my body. I do a drill with a large towel under my armpits to feel the connection between them and my body. Way too much to explain in a comments section, let's figure out a way to contact each other and I'll talk your ear off!

Paperhogan