Tuesday, September 4, 2007

AT&T Arizona Open Qualifier

Went to hit some balls at lunch today at Rio Salado again and chatted with Mike for a bit. We got to talking about upcoming tournaments and he gently reminded me that friendly rounds won't get us anywhere. The Arizona Open is coming up September 20-22nd, the open qualifier is on September 13th at the old stomping grounds, Ocotillo GC. I used to live across the street from there and have played literally 100 rounds out there. Nice golf course, 27 holes with water on 23 of them (water is actually in play on only about 12-14 of them). So with Mike's gentle reminder in my head (meaning he basically got me to tell myself to get my head out of my ass and go play competitively without needing to tell me directly, man he's good) I looked up the info on the qualifier.

So here it is, $175 for the "open" qualifier at Ocotillo on September 13th. 11AM shotgun. Qualify as an amateur and you owe an additional $45, qualify as a professional and you owe $370. I really don't know what to do as I don't really want to "declare" just yet, but I'm not out to set any amateur records either. You don't get paid as an amateur, and make no mistake, we love the game, but we want some money. Mama needs a new pair of shoes after all. I'm pretty sure declaring for the qualifier would exclude me from the Golf Channel Amateur Tour events, which is a bummer because I really would like to play in more of those events.

At any rate, I'm going to call the local PGA Section office tomorrow to see if there are even any spots left for the qualifier, then decide on which way to enter. Results are posted below for the latest round of qualifying that took place last Friday, as well as results from last years Arizona Open.

No comments: