Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Friendly round - ASU Karsten

My boss invited me out to play with him and several of his friends this past weekend. We played at ASU Karsten where I'm taking lessons from Jeff Ritter. For those that haven't played there, it's a links style golf course where you rarely find an even lie, pretty nice track. The greens were a bit slow, but it was a relaxing round. Of the group of 8, I believe 3 of us broke 100, 2 of us just barely. Fortunately I made it by a bit more than barely, but a ho-hum round of 75 was a little lame. I won't bore anyone with the details of each hole as a couple of them were just "hurry up and hit it to get out of the way of the 7 groups behind us", so nothing stellar. Here are some highlights however...

* Hit the new G10 driver pretty well. Longest of the day was paced off at 320 yards on the par 5 17th. Shortest of the day was paced off at 270, a far cry better than the old 905S.

* Hit 7 iron into the par 5 17th to about 8 feet, the putt went in the left edge then spun out 90 degrees, sitting on the lip. Amazing it didn't go in for eagle.

* Poor 3 wood on the lake lined 18th left me 177 yards over the corner of the lake. I hit the most gorgeous towering 7 iron to about 8 feet there, then went brain dead on the putt when we were all joking around about how hung over some of the guys were. Ah well.

* Nutted a 3 iron from 215 yards out of a fairway bunker into the wind to just off the front edge of the green on the par 5 sixth. Made a nice par from 3 yards off the green. Ugh.

* Put the ball even with the back right edge of the green on the 295 yard par 4 2nd (pin was in front of course) into some of the densest weeds/rough I've ever seen. Chopped it out to about 10 feet and made the putt for a great 3.

* Finished with 3 solid pars in a row (played the back side first). Mini goal every time I play is to finish even or better on 16, 17 and 18.

That's it there. While it was fun to play and just relax, at the end of it all, I regretted not playing for a lofty goal. My mistake, but hey, I broke 100!

No comments: