Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Major dose of reality

So today I received my official paperwork for the US Open Qualifier for next Wednesday. It's nice to feel official, however after looking at my pairings, I started to wonder about one of the names. Sure enough, I'm playing with Roger Tambellini, current Nationwide Tour player, ranked 557th in the world, 45th on the Nationwide Tour moneylist, former PGA Tour player, etc. That was like a shot in the arm. I immediately went downstairs and worked out, now I'm going to the backyard putting green for an hour or so. It didn't feel real until today, I'm not ashamed, I'm freaking nervous.

I also just signed up for another Golf Channel Amateur Tour event, this Sunday back at The Duke. It's a very nice golf course, and I should do a bit better than my last showing (no, we won't relive it shot by shot). I took Monday and Tuesday off of work in preperation for Wednesday's qualifier, so we're going to treat this upcoming week like a full immersion. We're pretending we have no job, and all we're doing is focusing on practicing and playing starting Friday afternoon.

My mom and stepfather are coming to stay the night at the house Friday as they are in town this week, so that should be a good time. We're going to cook some steaks on the grill and talk about how nervous I am before they head back home Saturday morning. I'll then go play Saturday afternoon, GCAT tournament Sunday, then practice rounds Monday and Tuesday, before the qualifier Wednesday. This should be an exciting week! Wish me luck!

No comments: