Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ping G10 driver is in the bag

Last Saturday after my lesson I was leaving ASU Karsten and saw that the PING van was there (makes sense, it's their course). Since I've been having problems with the driver, I decided that this would be the first time that I would attend a demo day and hit some drivers. I've heard really good things about the new G10 so I wanted to check them out. I hit 4 different ones, three 9 degree drivers and one 10.5 degree. The 9's were each of the 3 available shafts, the Ping branded one, a ProLaunch Red and the UST V2. Wasn't too sure about the UST one as that's what I have in my current driver, which is what is causing me the issues due to the heavy weight (76 grams).

To my surprise, the V2 in the Ping is the "high launch" version, which is only 66 grams, and is night and day difference in overall weight. I hit each one certainly better than my 905S, the ProLaunch Red quite a bit lower (and what do you know, that's what it's built for!). Clearly I hit the V2 shafted on much better. So after my round on Sunday where I think I hit maybe 6 fairways, and only 2 really well, I was ready for a change. I stopped by a local shop, but they only had the ProLaunch shafted 9 degree in stock. I checked around and found that the local Golfsmith had them in stock, so I picked one up Monday, a 9 degree UST V2 Ping G10.

I finally got a chance to hit it today due to some travel requirements for work, so after loosening up a bit with a wedge and 7 iron, I went to work breaking in the new driver. Yowza is that thing easier to hit than the 905S (for me anyway). First one was a little cut, second one was blocked, third one was pulled. Now that we got the extremes worked out, let's go to town. I must say that I did absolutely kill a couple of them. I could have sworn that I hit one or two over the fence at the back of the range at Rio Salado. Now, the range runs to about 240 yards from the looks of it (if the yardage signs are correct) and the fence is literally about 40 feet tall out there, so that would be a bit of a stretch. But just to be sure, after I finished, I drove to the end of the lot, got out and walked around to the back of the range onto the course and found exactly 4 balls that I hit over the fence. One of them actually made it onto the green behind the range out there, I guess I'm glad nobody was playing out there at that time.

Needless to say I'm happy so far with the change. I'll get the chance to put it into play this weekend, so we'll see how it measures up, but so far it's much easier to hit, harder to hit offline, and from what I can tell so far, is measurably longer than the 905S.

No comments: