Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Equipment Update

My wonderful wife purchased a set of Mizuno MP-67 irons for me for Christmas. I've been missing the feel of Mizuno's as I've played them for years. The Titleist 690.CB's were great clubs, but hollow feeling compared with the Mizuno blades. The notch in the back gives it "some" forgiveness, nowhere near as forgiving as the Titleist's, but I'm ok with that, especially now that I'm hitting it better. They have X-100's in them, which I was a bit worried about considering that it felt like I've been swinging my driver at about 90Mph lately, but the last round cured that concern.

I bought some Golf Pride New Decade grips (blue and black) to replace the Lamkin's that were on there as well, really nice grips.

I also received some gift certificates and purchased a Titleist Vokey Spin Milled SW to replace my worn out Cleveland 588. During one of my lessons, my instructor commented about the lack of any grooves on the face of my wedge (compliments of 15+ years of use). I've been reading about the differences in spin between new and old wedges (literally a loss of 2,300 RPM after 40 rounds) and decided it was time for a new one. Time will tell if there's a difference, but the pitch shot on #9 last week checked and spun a bit sideways, unlike I'm able to do with the Cleveland. I'm pretty excited about this.

No comments: