Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wedge problems

I've been fighting a loss of distance for a couple of months, it comes and goes. It's a combination of swing changes, tentative strikes at the ball, colder weather, etc. etc. Here's what I gather to this point, due to changes in the swing, I'm impacting the ball a completely different way, specifically hitting down more, compressing the ball more, and getting distance that way. Previously my divots weren't as deep, and frankly I think I swung a few mph faster with my old swing. Now as I said, it comes and goes. In the past few rounds and tournaments, I've hit some deep drivers, hit some very solid long and mid-irons the same distance I used to. But there's been one constant. I can't hit a wedge out of my own shadow.

More to the point, I can get my PW just shy of where I used to hit it pretty consistently, my GW a bit shorter than that, say 100-105 yards vs. 115 yards with my old swing, but here's the rub...I need to hit it so pure and perfect to get a SW above 85 yards it's not even funny. Used to be that my SW was 100 yards, period. Anything less and I had to take something off of it, anything more, say up to 110 yards (and it better be downwind or downhill) and I'd have to muscle it real hard.

So I'm wondering why, I haven't spent any time talking with my instructor about it as we've had much bigger fish to fry, but we're getting closer now and the wedge thing isn't working itself out. I'm not sure if I need to make another adjustment specifically for the wedges in order to get a few additional yards out of it or not. Bottom line, I can't understand why I can't hit a SW 100 yards anymore and it's really beginning to irritate me. I hit 2 SW's on 16 and 18 in the last tournament from 87 and 94 yards respectively and hit them both dead nuts pin high, but I went freakin' after them. With my old swing, that would have been some pretty controlled swings there, not full tilt, go for broke, pull your left nut swings. I find it odd that the easiest clubs in the bag to hit are giving me the most trouble now. It just doesn't make sense. It's amazing what 10 yards can do to a man with a driver, now imagine that problem with a wedge, it seems like a mountain to overcome.

Maybe I'll get my ass out of bed early enough tomorrow to work a little more on it. Sure man, keep telling yourself that you lazy $&(#%^@!@#$$*.

No comments: