Saturday, January 26, 2008

What's that clicking?

Today was one of those days where things "clicked" for me during my lesson with Jeff. We've been working for a long time on flattening the swing, laying it off, etc. which is all well and good. Well now we've moved on to getting my left wrist flatter at the top vs. cupping it which I've done for years. I'll be honest, I'm really struggling with this seemingly small change as I have no "feel" for the correct position. So for the past week since we instituted the change, I've been back and forth between good shots and bad, really struggling to get it worked in.

Today Jeff added an impact element designed to provide an additional steepening influence into my swing, to combat the shallowing influences that I've had for years with the upright swing. According to Jeff, we have 2 things to add to the swing and then it's maintenance / refinement mode. We'll see if I can manage to screw that up.

So anyway, back to it. The addition today was the straightening of the left leg at impact, vs. the "soft" left knee that I had previously. My first practice swing targeting a solid blow to the turf whiffed the mat completely, but from that point on, I got it. I mean really, really got it. It connected the reason for the flatter wrist to results at impact, which over the past week had been missing. After we were done I went back outside to hit 20-30 balls while everything was fresh. I literally miss-hit one of them, the rest were as pure as the driven snow. I cannot stress enough how that move with my left leg connects the change we made last week at the top. I left the golf course today thinking that I could quite possibly be the best ball striker on the planet. Your planet may be different than mine, but on mine, it's quite possible.

I went later this afternoon to a golf course near the house to practice again (I try to hit balls again on lesson day when things are fresh). Here's where it gets weird. So I'm striping my 9 iron, just killing the center of the clubface. My landing area is no bigger than my dining room table, no lie. Ball after ball, sa-woosh off the clubface, landing in nearly the same spot, with the same line and trajectory as the last. I'm thinking "damn this game is easy". Well the flag for this particular practice green is 153 yards from my spot, not a 9 iron for me, so I pull 8 iron, it's only one more club, let's stripe some at the target. Out of the 40 or so remaining balls there, I hit exactly 3 of them as good as with my 9 iron, probably 20 of them the same distance as the 9 iron, and the remaining, well, not so good. Amazing that I could have such drastically different results from just one different club. I think we're definitely on to something here, and I'm not discouraged at all that after less than 100 balls it's not quite grooved yet. I'm extremely excited about where this latest change has me, and I can't wait until tomorrow morning to get up and go practice some more.

No comments: