Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hey, I can hit a driver again!

I setup an "emergency lesson" with Jeff this morning so we could go through my ailments with the driver. I was hitting some 8 irons decent warming up when we went inside to capture some stuff on video. Jeff had me flatten the swing out as I'd gotten a bit upright since the last time we met. I'll be fighting that forever.

Anyway, we made some really exaggerated moves flattening it out and hit a few outside again, immediate and dramatic difference in compression and ball flight. "Let's hit a few drivers now, just at about 80%" he says. Ok, well here's the real test. Very first ball, bam, better than I've hit a tee shot in the 5 1/2 rounds since this began. I hit 15 or so with him, and nearly every one was nutted. A few offline, which is to be expected after making such a drastic change in plane. I then hit 10 or so more after we were done and hit them all quite well.

So now it's lunch time so it's off to the range to hit some balls during the break (my daily vacation away from my job). Well what do you know, it's the first 80 degree day in Phoenix and the place is PACKED. I have to settle for a spot on the far right, just next to a couple of guys who are "hootin an hollerin" after their shots that by the descriptions "musta went 5 miles there". So I find a spot between their bags, chairs and pitcher of beer (no, I'm not kidding) and settle in. I was prepared to drown out any noise but began to realize that these guys were literally betting quarters one each shot to see if they could hit it farther than me. Now, I'm hitting wedge here, so I'm not quite sure what that's going to accomplish, but suffice to say they were quite impressed that their drivers were blowing by my wedge shots. Me too I guess.

Back to it, so with the newfound ability to hit driver, I'm ready to duplicate the success from earlier now that I've gone through Wedge, 8 and 6, and the G10 did not dissapoint. The very first swing was met with a resounding click of success and the ball did fly quite high and far, with a little draw. Then the Duke Boys joined in again - "WhoooooWeeee, you hit that like Tiger Woods! I bet you 5 dollars you can't do that again". Ok, now seriously, that was funny. So with a gracious "thank you" from me and a desperate attempt not to laugh, I made good on my mans challenge, although he did not pay me the $5 I was rightfully owed. I finished up with 8 or 10 more drivers, then cycled through some pitch shots to the closest green as is customary.

As I was leaving, my new friends informed me that they were there to give me lessons any time I wanted (self depricating sarcasm, I think I like these guys after all). Alas, I had to go so I was unable to join them in their newly refilled pitcher of beer (again, not kidding) and thanked them for their kindness. Ah what the hell, I'm so happy I can hit a driver again, I don't even care. What a great day!

No comments: