Monday, February 4, 2008

Rainy day practice

Man do I need some rain pants. I went and practiced at lunch as usual, only today it had been raining all morning. Luck would have it that it let up and although windy and cold, the rain subsided on my trip to the golf course. As I proceed down to the practice tee, there's only one other person down there, so lots of room to practice. I've been singularly focused on a tournament coming up in 2 weeks (more on that later) so I'm pretty much in my own world right now. On the plus side, I am really swinging pretty well, hitting shots pretty solid, everything is really coming into focus with the changes I've made.

So I'm going through PW, 8 iron, then 6 iron. Through that time, I notice that 3 new guys showed up on the practice tee, which kind of surprised me because the clouds looked ominous. I like practicing on days like this as I feel like I can pick up progress on everyone else as not everybody chooses to practice in incliment weather. Not today it seemed.

So I'm working through some shots, hitting it fairly well, pulling quite a few though, not sure if it was the extra layers (T-shirt, golf shirt, jacket) that I'm wearing or what. So I'm focused on a target down range (175 yard sign) when I begin to notice that I can't see it very well. That's when I realized that it was actually pouring down rain, and my entire right pants leg was soaking wet, I had water running down my back, and it was freaking COLD. I also noticed that there were 4 half empty buckets of balls on the range now as the other guys who were just hitting balls all bailed because of the rain. Now I'm happy again, as I'm still hitting shots. Screw it, I'm already wet, and water dries. I don't know how long it was pouring like that before I realized it, nor how long I was out there alone before realizing it. I'd like to say it was my intense focus on the task at hand, but it's probably more likely that I'm just too stupid to realize things like this. Ah whatever, either way it was fun.

Nothing really to report here, other than I feel good about plugging away in the rain when everyone else decided to pack it in. I do wish I had some rain pants though as literally 6 hours later I was still soaking wet.

No comments: