Friday, October 5, 2007

About time for an update

So as you may recall, I contemplated giving tournament golf a bit of a break so I could bear down with my instructor and get some things going with the swing changes. So I've been doing that for a couple of weeks now and I think I'm seeing some pretty positive results. I made one absolutely picture perfect swing during my lesson last week, which I can't tell you how proud I am about it. Everything from the takeaway to most importantly my position at the top was exactly where we've been wanting it. The key obviously is to groove it in there, which I've been working hard on with some pretty diligent practice sessions.

Now my theory on practice is on the side of quality, not quantity. I have spent many afternoons just beating balls, with little to show for it. My practice regimine now consists of heading to Rio Salado during my lunch break to hit a medium "bucket" (God I hate that term), which consists of about 50 balls. I take 2, sometimes 3 clubs, alternating days. One short iron, one mid to long iron, then sometimes a 3 wood or driver. I've been working really hard on alignment by setting a stick down at my feet to ensure that I'm on the correct line. Once that's established, I'm free to work on position throughout the swing. Again, I've been working hard on flattening and shortening the swing. The changes Jeff has put into my swing have completely changed how I compress the ball and the sound that it makes. Trajectory is a bit lower, and a hell of a lot straighter from shot to shot.

So funny story from yesterday, I'm on the range and there's one other guy out there, he's got a whole mess of Ping G-10 clubs, literally 5 or 6 of them in his bag, that's a lot of woods. So I comment to him about them, he notes that I also have a G-10, and we continue. I pick up the driver and hit a few shots, and actually start breaking tees. About the 3rd or 4th shot in he looks over at me and I say "man, I keep breaking tees". He then proceeds to inform me that I'm probably teeing the ball too high, maybe I should lower it, and sweep the ball off the tee a bit more, etc. I tell him thanks but I've got it teed just where I'm wanting it. I can see out of the corner of my eye that this guy is now watching me as I'm teeing this one up and he says "okay" as in "fine, don't listen to me, we'll see what happens". So I just absolutely murdered this shot, big high soft draw, the G-10 just screaming in pain as the ball comes off the face. As the ball is about halfway down range I hear him say "well, okay then..." and he turns back to his balls to continue hitting. Classic, man did that bring a smile to my face.

So I have another lesson tomorrow with Jeff, hopefully I've not strayed too far with my swing plane, although my gut tells me I've slowly gotten more upright again over the past week. This is a long process, so that's to be expected for sure.

One other note, they just got done re-seeding the range at Rio Salado and let me tell you, the grass is just perfect now. I'm in absolute heaven. The last month or so every golf course has gotten to the burnt out grass that we all experience down here, so this time of year is especially nice. I would also like to thank Mike at Rio Salado for letting me know that the bowling league is open for tryouts. Nothing like a little shot in the arm of humility. Thanks Mike, I love you too. :-)

No comments: