Sunday, October 21, 2007

Did we just find "IT"?

Wow, great lesson on Saturday. I'm not sure what to think here. So as you all know, I've been working on flattening my swing and getting it to stop going across the line at the top. I've fully enabled the swing shape and plane, and have completely abolished the past parallel move (finally!). However I've been struggling with the across the line motion after so many years of it. I've gotten it down to literally an inch or two across the line, not much, but still something Jeff and I have been working on.

So after some thoughts and drills given to me, I had nearly gotten it done, but at the beginning of the lesson, I was still just a bit over. So after speaking to me a bit about some swing keys, BAM, it happened. And not just once, I laid down a bunch of swings that put me directly on the target line at the top, if not even an inch laid off. Now of course it is Jeff's responsibility to keep me positive, but he uttered the words "perfect" and "now THAT's a golf swing" too many times for me to ignore. I absolutely feel the specific movement that gets me to the correct position, and was able to key in on that to repeat it time and again. Ball flight and line were both just dead on. I literally have never felt my swing so good.

So after the lesson, I proceeded to plug away for a bit to ensure that I keep the feeling going, and while this may sound cheesy, I literally almost came to tears feeling the change and seeing the results time after time. I've fought that move for so long, to be on the cusp of true abolishment of the specific bad habit that has plagued me for years is definite cause for reflective thinking. Jeff commenting that I've have truly exceeded any expectations that he had for me in this short of a time obviously help bolster those good feelings.

So here's where we stand, over the years I've been good, played better than most, could make it happen when I needed it to most of the time. But there was always this nagging voice that said "your swing sucks", which obviously doesn't help from a confidence standpoint. I now feel like all the hard work has paid off to a point where I would be proud to show video of my swing to anyone, which is a journey of momentous proportions. Yes, position isn't the sole determining factor of outcome. Yes, there are many other facets of the game that count as well. Yes, I will make swings that are not perfect in the future. But from a personal confidence standpoint, I'm on top of the world and feel that with this, the only thing preventing us from achievement, is committment, willpower and the occasional good bounce. I can control 2 out of 3 of those things. I get goosebumps just thinking about how confident I am right now. It's almost time to start playing again, I feel like I could take on the world.

No comments: