Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pulled muscles and commitment

So I finally got back from my trip to Seattle, 3 straight days of not touching a golf club. That was torture, I don't know how you people can live around that much rain and dreary skies. I was very happy to get back to sunny Arizona. On the positive side, I got to spend a bunch of time reading some old books and drafting my goals for the upcoming year. I'll post those here soon.

So anyway, I get up this morning, excited about grabbing some clubs to take with me so I can stop after work for some practice. I had a lunch appointment today, so I had to wait until after work. Well wouldn't you know, I literally pulled the muscle that runs from your neck down across your shoulder blade while putting on my freaking shirt this morning. Yep, that's the end of the story. There's no follow up line like "and then a bear came in and I wrestled him and pulled a muscle", I was just putting on my shirt.

So on the drive to work, it's getting tighter and tighter, literally to the point that I couldn't even turn my head to look into the other lanes of traffic on the freeway. I spent the entire day stretching my back, arms, shoulders, neck, etc. Literally in every meeting, while I was on conference calls, every spare moment, and by the end of the day, I was actually loose enough (just barely) to stop by Rio Salado and hit some balls. I started out pretty easy as you can imagine as I didn't want to make it worse. So after a couple of tentative, and fat, wedges, I started putting some ooomph behind it.

Very happy to report that the changes I made Saturday seem to have stuck, I still feel "IT" at the top of my swing, and although I didn't have the camera rolling, I "feel" like I'm still in the correct position. And I hit one wedge, three 7 irons and three 3 woods that were just absolutely perfect, wow did those feel great. I'll be bringing the camera tomorrow to make sure I'm on track, and then I have 2 rounds back to back Friday and Saturday. They are friendly rounds, but we've got some juice riding on it, so let's hope to stay interested.

I'm off to bed, just took 800mg of Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer. I have a bag of ice and a hot pack that I'm about to start rotating. I'm hoping an hour or two of that with a good nights rest will get me back to normal for tomorrow. For now, I'm just absolutely miserable.

No comments: