Thursday, August 16, 2007

6 iron finally tweaked

Remember a few posts ago when I talked about my being at least 2 degrees upright? I had it checked today and it was actually 2 1/2 degrees upright. Got it bent to the correct lie (between the 5 and 7 iron) and now feel a lot better. That club cost me 3 strokes the previous round, so I'm glad I got that taken care of.

Then while I was in Golfsmith I noticed a sign for the launch monitor enabled club fitting service they have with some 3rd party outfit located in their shop. Always be wary of "teaching professionals" who operated out of a retail building rather than a golf course, but I had to ask anyway as I have the set of X200 shafts (I mis-stated earlier as X100's) ready to go in my irons and I'm still wondering about the heavy shaft in my driver.

So I ask the guy about their fitting process, how it's priced, etc. He tells me it's $50, a far cry more reasonable than the $400 Hotstix wants, then asks me what I'm looking for. I explain the situation with the driver and my set of shafts waiting to be installed, and that I want to ensure that I find a correct shaft for both the driver and to ensure that the X200's aren't too heavy. He says "X200's? How far do you hit a 7 iron?" Pardon my french, but why the hell do people ask that question? Allow me to retort jackass, uphill? Downhill? Wind? Fairways soft or hard? Pin up or back? Am I hooking it or cutting it? Did I just make birdie? Am I nervous? I CAN hit a 7 iron 120 yards, or 190 yards. I hit 2 of them today, the first one 155 yards, the 2nd one 180 yards. So now this guy who has never seen me swing, never seen me play, is going to fit me for a set of iron shafts based on the "how far do you hit a 7 iron" question?

I guess $400 at Hotstix isn't too unreasonable after all.

No comments: