Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Paper Hogan's adventure begins

Ok, first of all I need to give credit where due, the name Paper Hogan is derived from the book Paper Tiger by Tom Coyne. I don't like Tiger, I'm a Ben Hogan man myself, hence the name. Ok, now that that's out of the way...

Welcome to the blog. So here's the deal, waaaaaaaay back in 1996, I moved to Phoenix, AZ to play golf professionally. How did that go? Let's just say it didn't take long to realize that I sucked, and that I needed to get a real job. So I settled into playing some amateur events once a year or so, and fell into the dreaded spiral of corporate scramble outings. "Oh yeah, let's invite Sean, he's pretty good." Hit driver on every hole, run every putt 4 feet by the hole, hadn't hit a bunker shot that counted in years. So here I find myself in 2007 looking back on the last 3 years. How much have I played? I estimate ~12 rounds per year, at least half of which were scrambles. Have a hot day, shoot 78, an off day, shoot 86. Maybe make a birdie or two, but most of the time, no birdies. Eeesh...

Fast forward to June, 2007. My wife and I are talking one night, I'm lamenting how much time I've wasted not playing golf, and she suggests (yep, not me, it was her) that maybe I should give it another run. I laughed at her of course, thought it was funny. Told her how crazy she was, etc. Then I had a trip out of town and found "Tales from Q School" by John Feinstein in the airport book shop. "Hmmm" I thought to myself, "let's read this for grins". Read it cover to cover in one day and had the itch. I bought some books by Bob Rotella and started thinking about some initial goals that would be good to try to accomplish by the end of 2007. Goals I didn't tell anyone about, for fear of them laughing at me.

I surpassed every one of my conceptual goals in the first 3 weeks. Good and bad news. Good news, I'm on track. Bad news, now I actually believe I might be able to do this.

This blog will serve as the official record of my efforts, both good and bad, towards my goal of making it through Q School, 2008. I hope you find the information, stories and efforts entertaining, but most of all, I hope that maybe some of you may actually start to get on my bandwagon and also believe that I can do this. It's always nice to have supporters in your corner. Let's do this!

No comments: