Tuesday, August 7, 2007

How I got here

I grew up in Nebraska, where if you were psychotic you could play 7 months a year. I knew a couple of guys who were pretty good sticks, but I knew that if I was going to ever get anywhere, I needed to go where it was warm. A friend of mine had recently moved to Phoenix, so I took a couple of days off work and flew down there to visit. After playing 3 rounds during that December trip of 1995, I was sold. I flew back, resigned from my job, packed what would fit in my car and drove 17 hours straight to Phoenix.

Because I packed only what would fit in my car, I didn't have a bed, so I slept on a sheet on the floor. Lived across the street from a golf course where it was $10 to practice all day long. I was in heaven. I played a few small events and just busted out cold. Spent a lot of money I couldn't afford to and had nothing to show for it. Got a real job and played golf recreationally ever since.

During those years, I still played my Mizuno MP14 blades, switched putters and drivers a few times, but wouldn't relinquish those irons. Thankfully I just bought a set of Titleist 690.CB cavity back forged irons off of Ebay. My God, these things should be illegal they are so easy to hit. How many bad shots did I force upon myself for the sake of pride keeping those old blades?

Never had a real lesson, I've sat down with 2 instructors in my life and didn't want to listen to anything they said. I'm hooked up with an instructor now, more on that later.

No comments: