Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Second round with new swing

Better, much better. Maybe I'm working myself into a happy medium between old swing and new swing, not sure, ball flight and sound of contact are completely different than before, in a good way. Much better results anyway. Shot 75 at Bear Creek in a practice round for the Chandler City Championship, 10 better than the first round with the new swing. How about 65 for round 3? As I'll be doing regularly, we'll break down the finer points.

Toe blocked my first 2 tee shots with the driver, probably hit them a whopping 200 yards each. Made a good par on the first hole, then fatted a 3 iron, hit a weak ass wedge, then 3 putted for double on #2. After that, I hit the driver REALLY well the rest of the round. Something clicked there, pretty upbeat about that. I made one birdie and one bogey after that on the front for a lackluster 38 at the turn.

Standing on 10, I say "Ok, that's enough warm up, now it's time to play". Snap hooked my driver (ooops, didn't I just say I hit the driver REALLY well?). Ball was resting on the cart path, next to the only patch of grass they haven't mowed in 3 years. Took a drop in a nice patch that was trampled down next to the deep stuff, but of course the ball took one good hop left into the deep stuff. Looks like the 7 iron goes back in the bag, where's that wedge? Pulled my SW a bit from just over 100 yards, up and down for bogey.

"Ok, that's enough warm up, NOW it's time to play". Pulled my 9 iron on #11, couldn't get it up and down, another bogey. But hey good news, I then made back to back birdies, the second one via an 85 yard fairway bunker shot to 3 feet. Excellent. On a roll now, here we go. Hit 7 iron to 25 feet on the next hole, 3 putt, bogey. Par, par, hit a 5 iron on 17 that got up into the wind, fell short of the green, hit a great chip to 3 feet then hit a putt that absolutely positively goes left. Aimed for the right edge, broke right, bogey. Driver 5 iron on 18, 2 putts, hey look, 2 over on the back as well. So much for grinding.

All in all, there are 5 par 3's at Bear Creek, and I bogeyed every single one of them today. Missed 4 of 5 greens on the par 3's, didn't get up and down once. The only one I hit, I 3 putted. Talking through it like that makes me feel better, I like walking the strokes, it gives me hope that I can fix the problems. Maybe a bit naive, but hey, we need to be in this game right? 2 more practice rounds on tap, stay tuned! I'm off to the backyard putting green for some late night barefoot 3 footers.

No comments: